Panathenaic Stadium – Opening and Closing Ceremonies

The Panathinaiko or Panathenaic Stadium (Greek: Παναθηναϊκό στάδιο), also known as the Kallimarmaro (Καλλιμάρμαρο, i.e. the “beautifully marbled”), is an athletic stadium inAthens that hosted the first modern Olympic Games in 1896. Reconstructed from the remains of the ancient Greek stadium, the Panathinaiko is the only major stadium in the world built entirely of white marble (from Mount Penteli).

The Panathenaic Stadium is a classical cultural and touristic monument of Greece and one of the most significant monuments not only for Athens, but for the whole Greece.

It is one of our city’s most popular touristic attractions and one of Athens’ landmarks.

Its rich history is directly connected to the Modern Olympic Games as from their revival in 1896 until the Athens Olympic Games in 2004. It is also the place from where the Olympic flame sets up its journey to the cities of the Olympic Games, both Winter, Summer and Youth.

History

The Panathenaic Stadium is located on the site of an ancient stadium and for many centuries hosted games in which nude male athletes competed (gymnikoi agones) in track events, athletics championships as we would call them today. The games, which since antiquity had been held in an area far from the city, were included in the programme of the Panathenaia festival celebrations in 566/565 BC. When the orator Lykourgos assumed responsibility for the finances of Athens, in 338 BC, he included in the public works carried out in the city the building of a Stadium. The ravine running between Ardettos Hill and the low height opposite, extra muros of the city and in an idyllic setting on the verdant banks of the River Ilissos, was deemed to be an ideal location. This was private land but its owner, Deinias, conceded it to the State for the construction of a Stadium. Major earth-removal works transformed the ravine into a space for contests, with the features of the Greek stadium: parallelogram shape with entrance at one narrow end and room for the spectators on the earth slopes of the other three sides. Lykourgos’ stadium was used for the first time during the celebration of the Great Panathenaia in 330/29 BC, when games in which nude athletes competed were held.

In Roman times the city of Athens was no longer a political power. However, it enjoyed a new intellectual and artistic heyday in the reign of Emperor Hadrian, between AD 117 and 138. In this period, the orator and sophist Herodes son of Atticus spent part of his vast fortune on erecting splendid buildings in many sanctuaries and cities of the Roman Empire. Thanks to the generosity of Herodes, significant works were carried out in the Stadium between AD 139 and 144, which resulted in two main changes to the initial form: the conversion of the original rectilinear shape to horseshoe shape by adding the sphendone, characteristic form of Greek stadia in Roman times, and the installation in the space for spectators, thetheatron, of rows of seats (edolia) of white Pentelic marble. A vaulted passage under the east retaining wall terminated at the back of the Stadium. On the track (stibos), marble slabs demarcated the starting line (aphesis) and the finishing line (terma). Integral elements of the track were the bifacial herms. The entrance acquired a propylon in the Corinthian order. A triple-arched marble bridge spanning the Ilissos secured easy access to the Stadium from the city. The whole space, and primarily the portico at the level of the sphendone, was adorned with statues of marble, bronze and even gold. The temple of the goddess Tyche/Fortuna, housing the ivory cult statue of the goddess, had been built on the summit of Ardettos. The Athenians were justly proud of the Panathenaic Stadium, which was unrivalled in the world. For many years, the tomb of Herodes dominated the hilltop left of the entrance.

With the prevailing of Christianity and the prohibiting of pagan celebrations and the barbarous spectacles of Roman times, such as bloody gladiatorial duels and contests with wild beats, the Panathenaic Stadium lost its glory. As time passed it presented a sad picture of dereliction, as the splendid marbles were incorporated into Athenian buildings and fed the limekilns in its vicinity. European travellers, mainly, visited its site, as emerges from their testimonies, in which they also give accounts of the magical rites enacted by young Athenian maidens in the ruined vaulted passage, aimed at finding a good husband.

Among the first attempts to revive the idea of the Olympic Games were the games organized in the Panathenaic Stadium in 1870 and 1875, on the occasion of the Zappeian Olympiads, exhibitions of Greek products with sponsorship from the benefactor of the Nation, Evangelis Zappas. This idea was brought to fruition by Baron Pierre de Coubertin, a French aristocrat with a sound classical education, who organized the International Olympic Conference in Paris, in 1894. President of the Conference and plenipotentiary of the Panhellenic Gymnastics Association was Demetrios Vikelas, who persuaded the delegates that the first modern Olympic Games should be held in the Greek capital in 1896. The Panathenaic Stadium was chosen to host the Olympic Games and was the epicentre of the city’s preparations for this major event. The enormous expense of reconstructing the Stadium was undertaken largely by another benefactor of the Nation, Georgios Averoff. His marble portrait statue, to the right of the entrance to the Stadium, was carved by the sculptor Georgios Vroutos.

From as early as 1836, archaeological excavation had uncovered traces of the ancient Stadium of Herodes Atticus, and on the basis of these findings, as well as of the finds from the excavations conducted by Ernst Ziller in 1869, the plan for its reconstruction was prepared by the architect Anastasis Metaxas. The rebuilding of the Stadium from Pentelic marble is distinguished by its high degree of fidelity to the ancient monument of Herodes.

The first modern Olympic Games commenced on 25 March and concluded on 3 April, and were a resounding success. The victor in the Marathon race, the most popular contest, was the Greek Spyros Louis. It was in the Panathenaic Stadium that the Olympic Hymn was heard for the first time, with lyrics by poet Costis Palamas and music by composer Spyros Samaras. Throughout the twentieth century the Panathenaic Stadium hosted diverse events, among them pan-Hellenic and international games. In the Athens 2004 Olympic Games it experienced moments of suspense and emotion during the archery contests and as the finishing line of the Marathon race. A creation of the Athenians, as its name proudly proclaims, the Panathenaic Stadium has been the venue for noble competition and fair play, of mind and of body, since Antiquity.

Information

Hours of operation :
March – October: 08:00 – 19:00 last ticket sold at 19:00
November – February: 08:00 – 17:00 last ticket sold at 17:00
Suggested visit hours: during morning and evening hours
Admission:

Adults 3,00 €
Students ticket (for students –individual students and seniors over 65 year old) 1,50 €
School students with their teachers free entrance
For infants under 6 years of age free entrance

Audio GuideTour:
The audio guide tour is available in 10 languages (Greek, English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese and Arabic)

Address:
Vasileos Konstantinou Avenue (opposite the statue of Myron Discobolus)
Athens 116 35

Office hours:
Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. – 14:30 p.m.. (except holidays)
Archmidous 16, Pangrati
Athens 116 35

Tel:
General info: + 30 210 75 22 984-6
Fax: + 30 210 75 26 386

If you represent a tourist office or a group of more than 20 persons, click here

Click here to download our brochure

Access

The Panathenaic Stadium is ideally located in downtown Athens, just 1000m from the “Syntagma”, “Acropolis” and “Evangelismos” metro stations.

You can get there by metro, bus, taxi or even walk.

Local Transport:

Buses:

Red 550

Green 90, 209

Yellow 2, 4, 10, 11

Metro stations:

Acropolis

Syntagma

Evangelismos.

To find directions on Google, search ‘Vasileos Konstantinou Avenue, Athens’.

Services

• Automatic audio guide: included in the price of the ticket. Upon entering the grounds, each visitor receives an audio guide device. The audio tour is available in 10 languages (Greek, English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Arabic, Russian, Chinese and Japanese) and lasts approximately 20 minutes. The audio guide provides each visitor with a personal ‘guide’ through the site and the history of the Stadium.
• Brochure: Visitors receive a brochure containing information about the Stadium provided in three languages (Greek, English and French).
• Pedestal: inside the stadium there is the winner’s podium on which visitors can take a special commemorative photo with the stadium for background and feel like one of the great athletes of the Games.
• Coffee: there is a coffee shop operating by the Panathenaic Stadium’s entrance, where visitors can have refreshments or a quick snack.
• Morning jogging: from 07:30 until 09:00. Application form.
• Toilets: the toilets are located to the right of the entrance to the Stadium next to the cafe.

Video
http://www.panathenaicstadium.gr/Portals/0/video/player/IMPlayer.swf?config=http://www.panathenaicstadium.gr/Portals/0/video/player/config.xml
The audio tour informs the visitors on the Stadium’s rich history, the history of its construction and its reconstruction, its architecture and location, and also the role that the Stadium has played on many significant moments in Sports and culture of Greece. There is also particular reference to the Olympic Games, that are closely related to the Panathenaic Stadium.

Following the route indicated by the 12 points of interest in the Stadium, the visitor has the chance of a journey to its rich history…

Use of the Panathenaic Stadium

At the request of the Organizing – Executive Committee of the World Summer Games Special Olympics – Athens 2011 for the concession to use the Stadium on June 25 and July 4, 2011, in order to make the opening and closing ceremonies of the World Games Special Olympics – Athens 2011, approved by the Central Archaeological Council, the meeting of February 1. The establishment of a central idea of ​​opening and closing ceremonies took artistic team Evangelinou Phocas, who was named winner of the open tender held by the Organizing Committee Special Olympics World Games ATHENS 2011…. Read Article »

 

 

Το θέμα την Τελετή Έναρξης XIII Παγκόσμιους Θερινούς Αγώνες Special Olympic Αθήνα 2011 είναι η «αναπαράσταση» της Οδύσσειας του Ομήρου

Link text  :http://www.tovima.gr

An impressive sight with “representation” of the Odyssey of Homer reserves for the opening ceremony of the XIII World Summer Games Special Olympics, to be held on June 25 at the Panathenaic Stadium. The ship of Odysseus, Poseidon, the Cyclops Polyphemus, the Sirens and the sun on his chariot star in this spectacle, accompanied by music, animation and special lighting. 

The Odyssey also the ambiguous content is particularly suitable as a direct reference to the daily adventure of living children with disabilities. That is why the Central Archaeological Council, which presented the program of the ceremony accepted the request, although in many places is not consistent with a monument. Fokas Evangelinos will have the overall command of the event, Stephen Korkolis took the music, Theodoros Grigoriadis writes texts, Elijah Ledakis make scenery and costumes by Elli Papageorgakopoulou.

A self-propelled ship construction in the form of nine lifting platforms for lifting people up to six meters above the ground are some of the most spectacular elements of the program. Otherwise: In the center of the track of the stadium will be placed on an undulating platform (length 250 meters and a width of 8 meters) and above it will be set up two tents. Also air four set design construction _ of Odysseus, Polyphemus, the Chariot of the Sun and moving electromechanical sirens _tha controlled by a system similar to that of the ceremonies of the Olympic Games in 2004. A huge screen in the form of a circular disk (diameter 22.8 meters) will also be erected outside the stadium to face the petal to show what happens to it.

Nothing but all these will not damage the monument, as stated by the organizers after the construction is irreversible and will not be grounded on the ancient parts of the stadium. As for the closing ceremony, however, to be held on July 4, it includes songs and dances of traditional Greek bands and will use the same settings for reasons of economy.

 

Opening Ceremony of Athens 1997 the Panathenaic Stadium

Watch an excerpt from the Opening Ceremony of Athens 1997 for the 6th IAAF World Championships in Athletics in the Panathinaiko pragmatopoiithike stage digma what Do You parakoulothisetai Opening Ceremony of the XIII Special Olympics World Summer Game Athnes 2011.

 

The Panathenean Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio) of Athens, a 90,000 spectator, ancient all-marble stadium, was the site of the Opening Ceremony of the 6th IAAF World Championships in Athletics of 1997 held in Athens.

The concept of the ceremony, the direction, the artistic and musical supervision was solely by Vangelis Papathanasiou.

The European News Channel Euronews airing long parts of the ceremony at the Panathenean Stadium, characterized the Opening Ceremony of the 6th World Championships in Athletics as magnificent and grandiose and added that this bravura was a clear message from Athens to the world for the claim of the 2004 Olympic Games.
At the beautiful all-marbled ancient stadium where Olympics Games were brought back to life in 1896, as Euronews journalist denotes, Vangelis Papathanasiou, the pope of electronic music as he calls him, did not only fascinate the spectators inside the stadium but the whole world who watched through satellite. Concluding, the journalist calls the ceremony a successful one, a high standard performance with music, dancers, lighting, lasers, graphics and projections on the terrain formed a visual feast of unseen beauty worthily only to the feasts of the ancients.

Vangelis did not only write the music for the opening ceremony but he was also involved in the general direction of all other artistic aspects. During his personal concert performance which was accompanied by Montserrat Caballe, the infamous Spanish (Catalan) Soprano and her daughter Montserrat-Marti for two new creations of his and ended the event.

Vangelis had also composed a new Anthem for the IAAF which was heard for the first time at the opening ceremony of the Panathenian Stadium.

As Reuters wrote in an interview of Vangelis, Whether it’s exploring space, conquering an athlete’s inner limits or discovering a new continent, Greek composer Vangelis has made the music to match.

The top-selling artist, who has an asteroid between Jupiter and Mars named after him, and his new choral symphony Mythodea, was chosen by NASA to accompany its Mars Odyssey mission and whose theme of “Chariots of Fire” won an Academy Award said that performing his work in Greece was “appropriate” as “They work more naturally here. They are a product of this country, the same way I am a product of this country”.

A record 200 countries participated in the event and was watched by 3.3 billion television viewers in 212 countries and many Greek officials believed helped give Greece the 2004 Olympic Games.

Many of the journalists present at the ceremony insisted that Vangelis ceremony was better than any prior Olympic Opening Ceremonies they watched.

Εξερευνήστε την περιοχή, θα δείτε τις τελετές έναρξης και λήξης των Special Olympics World Games ΑΘΗΝΑ 2011

Παναθηναϊκό Στάδιο

Like most of the ancient stadions, the Panathenaic Stadion as well, was built or rather hollowed out in a natural ravine, which forms a right angle with the Ilissos. Perhaps this ravine was originally crossed by a brook, which flowed into the classic torrent of Athens. The side opposite to the entrance ended with an artificial hemicircle. The construction of the first stadion is generally attibuted to the statesmen and orator Lycourgos, about 330 B.C. However more than a thousand years ago, the Athenians had celebrated these Panathenaic games, the founder of which was supposed to have been the Attic hero-king Theseus.

The ground belonged to an Athenian citizen Deinias, who ceded it to the town for the construction of an arena, as well as an amphitheatre for the Panathenian games. But it was five centuries later (140 A.D.) that the stadion became one of the most magnificent monuments of Athens, thanks to the munificence of the immensely rich Athenian sophist Herodes Atticus, who had already given more than one proof of his noble and great leberality. This patron of letters built the whole stadion of marble with such an abundance that the contemporaries used to say that the quarries of Penteli became exhausted… The arena, track has an eliptical form; its length is 204m. and breadth just over 33m. The length of the arena, properly said, is about 600 Greek feet=178m., which would make a real stadion the difference is due to the barriers of the entrance and passage.

It is the length of 178m, which was used for the races. The track was levelled between two long declivities opened at the N., from the side of the entrance; the latter was ornamented with majestic propylaea. The hemicircle on the opposite side was called sphndone. The track itself was marked with “metai” in the form of double faced pillars, called “hermai”. Four of them have been found, of which, one is exposed in the National museum, in the room of Poseidon; and two are still seen near the hemicircle. A marble parapet separates the arena from the a passage 2.82m.wide from which the spectators reach their places in the amphitheatre. This, as in ancient theatres, is divided into two concentric zones, separated by a passage. The lower part consists of 24 seats, the upper one of 20. The rows of these seats were intersected by 29 flights of steps, dividing the whole amphitheatre into 30 sectors, 12 on each lateral side and 5 in the hemicircles. The stadion could accommodate about 60000 spectators.

In the first row of the hemicircles were marble seats for the high dignitaries; for the jury there was a special tribune in the middle of one of the lateral sides. At the very top of the seats was a covered colonnade, 10m wide. A superb view opens there on the Royal gardenZappeion and Lycavittos. In the declivity at the S.E. side was a passage or tunnel, hollowed out in the rock, about 4m. wide, communicating with the town. It was used as entrance or exit for the competitors and, in later times as a cage for wild beasts, that were kept for chases and fights with gladiators. It was said that Hadrian, presiding at the Panathenaean games, provided a thousand wild beasts to take part in the chase.

The outside walls of the stadion were strengthened with buttresses; these walls were best preserved at the N. side where it is supposed that their strong masonry had been lined with marble slabs. The upper zone of the building was attained by means of large stairs inside the northern wall.

During the excavations of 1870 foundations of rooms and mosaic pavements were discovered at the N.E. angle of the E. wing; these were the dressing-rooms of various partakers of games.

In the dark ages of the Frankish and Turkish domination this magnificent monument was used as a Quarry and only few ornaments had survived. It was difficult to believe that this natural ravine had formerly contained so much glare, grandeur and glory! Yet, as by a stroke of a magic wand, the world saw all this ancient splendour brought to life and the panathenaic Stadion assuming once more its dazzling ornament of pentelic marble!

This miracle was due to the initiative of a single man, Baron de Coubertin, who had the excellent idea of establishing a committee in Paris for the organisation of international Olympic games. Their inaufuration was celebrated in 1896 on the arena restored in marble by a new Herodes Atticos, the Greek patriot of Alexandria, George Averoff. He spared no expenses for rendering this vast athletic building its former splendour and magnificence. The work lasted about four years and costed four million francs.

The ancient Athenians had solemnly buried the body of the geat donor on the top of the hill, which rises at the E. side of the Stadion, so, in like manner the contemporary Hellenes set up a statue of the great Epirote in front of the propylaea of the monument he had restored. The statue is the work of the Greek sculptor Vroutos. The present propylaea are a temporary brick construction, which, being far inferior to the previous one, ought to be removed as soon as possible and replaced by a more dignified production.

In antiquity athletic competitions: racing, boxing, jumping, javelin throwing, chariot and horse racing had taken place in the stadion. These games were celebrated every year during the Panathenaic feasts, but especially once every four years during the great Panathenaea in the month of Hecatomveon about the end of July. Then, in the midst of unparalleled splendour 300 oxen were drawn for sacrifice before the altar of the goddess. During the races the runners were placed on a marble line about 26m. long outside the entrance. In the double races the runners after completing one circle made awheeling round before the final term.

Panorama of the Panathinaikos stadium from entering.

Panorama of the Panathinaikos stadium from entering.

Τα 7 μυστικά του Παναθηναϊκού Σταδίου

Πηγή http://www.tovima.gr/default.asp?pid=2&artid=322692&ct=34&dt=28/03/2010#ixzz1DVQhHoSq

Τι κρύβεται κάτω από τα κατάλευκα μάρμαρα και τους γύρω λόφους.
Τα στοιχεία- κλειδιά για να καταλάβουμε το μεγαλοπρεπές έργο της αρχαιότητας

1. Η δίοδος

Επάνω από την είσοδο της αρχαίας υπόγειας διόδου (κρυπτή) την οποία χρησιμοποιούσαν οι αθλητές για να εισέλθουν στον στίβο βρίσκεται σήμερα το αποδυτήριο,το οποίο κατασκευάστηκε για τους πρώτους Ολυμπιακούς Αγώνες.Μια σκάλα οδηγεί από το εσωτερικό του στη δίοδο,ενώ η δεύτερη είσοδός της βρίσκεται στη σημερινή οδό Αρχιμήδους.Η στοά πρέπει να διανοίχθηκε την εποχή του Λυκούργου,έχει μήκος 57 μέτρα και πλάτος 4 μ

.2. Ο ναός της Τύχης

Μόνο τα ίχνη από την υποδομή της κλίμακας που οδηγούσε στον ναό της Τύχης έχουν απομείνει σήμερα στην ανατολική κλιτύ του Αρδηττού.Στην κορυφή του λόφου εξάλλου είναι ορατή μια εντυπωσιακή κατασκευή από λίθους και ισχυρό κονίαμα ως βραχώδες έξαρμα,ύψους περίπου 15 μέτρων,που ήταν το ανάλημμα του ανδήρου.Στον μικρό ιωνικό ναό υπήρχε το χρυσελεφάντινο άγαλμα της θεάς,πρώτη ιέρεια της οποίας ήταν η γυναίκα του Ηρώδη,η Ρήγιλλα.

3. Το ιερό πλοίο

Μια ιδιαίτερα επιμήκης κατασκευή στην κορυφή του λόφου της Αγρας σήμερα ελάχιστα ορατή ήταν το κτίσμα στο οποίο τοποθετούσαν οι Αθηναίοι το ιερό πλοίο,που μετέφερε το πέπλο της θεάς Αθηνάς κατά την Πομπή των Παναθηναίων.«Είχε κατασκευαστεί μάλιστα κρυφός μηχανισμός για την άνοδο του πλοίου στον λόφο»,λέει η κυρία Λυγκούρη,σε αντίθεση με την ισχύουσα άποψη ότι εκεί βρισκόταν ο τάφος του Ηρώδη Αττικού.

4. Σαρκοφάγοι

Μια μαρμάρινη σαρκοφάγος του 2ου αι.μ.Χ. που περιβάλλεται από κτιστό τοίχο και έχει εξαιρετική διακόσμηση αποκαλύφθηκε στον ανατολικό περιμετρικό διάδρομο του Σταδίου,πολύ κοντά στο σημείο όπου είχε εντοπισθεί από τον Α.Σκιά το 1904 η λεγόμενη σαρκοφάγος του Ηρώδη Αττικού.Από τις ανασκαφές αποκαλύφθηκαν επίσης τέσσερις κεραμοσκεπείς τάφοι και τρεις κτιστοί (τέλος του 3ου- αρχές του 4ου αι.μ.Χ.).

5. Νεκροταφείο

Ουδείς από τους επισκέπτες του Σταδίου μπορεί να φαντασθεί σήμερα ότι εκεί όπου βρίσκεται το νέο κτίριο των χώρων υγιεινής (υπώρειες του Αρδηττού) υπήρχε ένα αρχαίο νεκροταφείο.Το έφεραν στο φως οι εργασίες συντήρησης του Σταδίου για τους Ολυμπιακούς Αγώνες του 2004,κατά τη διάρκεια των οποίων ανασκάφηκαν 31 τάφοι διαφόρων ειδών,οι οποίοι χρονολογούνται από τον 3ο-4ο αι.μ.Χ.

6. Η βαλβίδα

Μόνο το εξασκημένο μάτι ενός ειδικού μπορεί να παρατηρήσει ότι στο σημείο γένεσης της σφενδόνης του Σταδίου,όπου βρίσκεται ένας αρράβδωτος κιονίσκος,έχουν απομείνει τα κατάλοιπα της σειράς των μαρμάρινων πλακών των βαλβίδων.Στις πλάκες αυτές που έφεραν δύο παράλληλες αυλακώσεις πατούσαν οι δρομείς στην αφετηρία των αγώνων δρόμου.

7. Ηρώδης Αττικός

Στην εξωτερική ανατολική πλευρά του Σταδίου μπορεί και σήμερα να δει κανείς μια ιδιαίτερα επιμελημένη σαρκοφάγο που βρέθηκε πριν από έναν αιώνα.Στο εσωτερικό της υπήρχε σκελετός τοποθετημένος σε λάρνακα από μολύβι και αυτή σε δεύτερη από ξύλο,ενώ στον τοίχο που την περιέβαλλε ένα μαρμάρινο βάθρο φέρει την επιγραφή «ήρωι τω Μαραθωνίω».Στοιχεία αρκετά για ορισμένους μελετητές να θεωρήσουν ότι πρόκειται για το ταφικό μνημείο του Ηρώδη,αν και ο σκελετός ήταν πολύ μεταγενέστερος.

Διαβάστε περισσότερα: http://www.tovima.gr/default.asp?pid=2&artid=322692&ct=34&dt=28/03/2010#ixzz1DVQcYEsj

 

Τελετές έναρξης και λήξης της ΧΙΙΙ Παγκοσμίων Αγώνων Special Olympics – Αθήνα 2011

The demand-Executive Organizing Committee of the World Summer Games Special Olympics – Athens 2011 for the concession to use the Stadium on June 25 and July 4, 2011, in order to make the opening and closing ceremonies of the XIII World Summer Games Special Olympics – Athens 2011, approved by the Central Archaeological Council, the meeting of February 1.

“The spectators, relatives and friends of athletes are expected to surpass the 40,000, making multiple nights in hotels in Athens and other cities while revitalizing shopping, restaurants and entertainment venues. And all this at a time usually limited tourism “, said the chairman of the organizing committee of the World Games Special Olympics, Gianna Despotopoulou on 26 January, 150 days before the Games begin.

The establishment of a central idea of opening and closing ceremonies took artistic team Evangelinou Phocas, who was named winner of the open tender held by the Organizing Committee Special Olympics World Games ATHENS 2011.

This group consists of artists with experience in organizing big events, like the composer Stephen Korkolis the Elias Ledakis designer, costume designer Ellie Papageorgakopoulou and editor Theodoros Grigoriadis. Production management consultants of the ceremonies is Gkreivlingk Simon and Andrew Walsh, with experience in the creation of major international events like the Olympic Games ATHENS 2004.

The Panathenaic Stadium and is the marble stadium which hosted the first modern Olympics in 1896. Originally it was a cavity of the soil between the hills and Ardittou Agra. Settled as a stage for the first time since the Lycurgus 330-329 BC

During the four years 140-144 AD Herodes Atticus restored the Stadium as they existed when it was discovered in the excavation of 1870. It was horseshoe-shaped, with a total track length 204.07 meters and width of 33.35 meters, with an estimated 50 000 seated spectators. It was built between scales in the stands at the front bezel and no gallery with Doric columns and the entrance of the stadium came Ilissos Bridge.

The latest overhaul of the stadium held by G. Averof in the late 19th century, retaining its original plan.

Evangelismos metro or the Constitution. Open Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 1 pm and 3.30 pm to 7 pm

%d bloggers like this: